History of Merchants Manor
If these walls could talk
Merchants Manor was built in 1913 by George Newby Carne, descendant of a long line of shipping merchants, wine distillers and beer brewers, with rumoured ties to Ithal, King of Gwent.
Garras - House on the hill
Originally called Garras, Cornish for ‘House on the Hill’, the building now makes a virtue of its prime location between the town’s cobbled high street and sandy beaches. Owners Sioned and Nick have returned the manor to its roots, transforming it into the perfect setting for exploring our local area, delving into a mercantile history or indulging in fine food, drink and worldly wellness.
Palm trees bending over daffodils and freshly cut grass. A fresh sea breeze with a hint of lavender. A secluded summer house. Our award-winning sub-tropical gardens offer a serene selection of places to enjoy a glass of wine, stretch out in the sun or take the perfect photo.